Friday, July 10, 2015

Yosemite in the clouds

We woke to clear skies and the glorious smell of pines.  People often question if they were born in the wrong era.  I often wonder if I was born in the wrong part of the country.  I grew up in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, but I feel truly at home and at peace in the mountains.

Camp was packed up and we made our way towards Yosemite.  We had no idea how long of a day we had ahead of us.  Once in the park, I was disappointed to find we would experience Yosemite during a cloudy, gray day.

Mike took this shot of me saying: my wife in her natural state.
The girls:
Bridal Veil fall in the distance.
Bridal Veil falls up close:
Once at the falls, the crowds got larger.  Much larger.  With very little English spoken.  This would set the tone for the remainder of our time here. It was taking entirely too long to get from one point to another.  And the traffic was annoying.

This is not the glorious scenery I was hoping for:
We bypassed a lot because of the hoards.  I was supremly bummed.  I will need to come back to Yosemite for sure, but I will try it during the off season, if there is such a thing.

The clouds got heavier as we climbed out of the park, giving way to brisk temperatures and left over snow. 


We descended late, although you would never know as the sun seems to never set in California.





The sun greeted us outside of the park.  Unfortunately, so did signs stating we could only camp in campgrounds.  Most National Forests are liberal and allow you to camp offsite.  Inyo National Forest, not so much.  But after some searching we wound up with a perfect campsite, butted up to the Lee Vining creek.

The fellow campers were chill and quiet, and what little noise they did make was drowned out by the sound of our own personal creek.

Long after the sun fell behind the mountains, I played with long exposures...






We cooked up a quick dinner, and turned in to the sound of a distant storm.  It was a long day in the car, but a creek side campsite was a great prize.






No comments:

Post a Comment