Sunday, January 19, 2014

Who Says You Can't Camp in the Winter? Day 2

The wind came….overnight….with a vengeance.   And we ALL blamed Mike.  He made a foolish comment last night about how we were lucky we weren't faced with Mormon Lake winds.  (aside: every Overland Expo at Mormon Lake is like being in a dry hurricane)  Wind and dust blew through camp, killing my allergies.  We escaped our windy plateau with a hike.  The boys were hoping to stumble upon some cool mining things.


We made it to the top with relative ease and enjoyed a killer view.  If you look close, you can spot our camp.



We made it all the way to the bottom and Rommel had his second of what would be several major cactus blowouts.  Both back feet were FULL of cholla.  This would be a common scene throughout the weekend.  Mike and I spent well over an hour of time collectively plucking needles from his feet.


We made lunch in the wind and I snapped a shot of where we hiked to.  Up there.  


The wind gradually let up.  Mike and I took warm showers (can I emphasize enough how amazing it is to have hot running water while camping? No? Well, it is), and enjoyed a short nap.  By dusk the wind died down enough for another short walk up the road for more sunset shots.





Before leaving for the weekend, I pre made taco meat for taco's in a bowl.  So dinner was easy tonight. 



Another fire was made but our camp mates turned in early.  Mike and I sat by the fire with Elly (Rommel went to bed), for a while.  She perked up and it wasn't until I turned on my head lamp that I realized why: eyes.  I knew where all of the dogs were so the eyes I saw weren't part of our camp party.  Mike grabbed a flash light and behold, a fox.  That did it.  Elly was a wreck for the rest of the night.  On high alert.  After waking us for the third time, she got booted to the Jeep with Rommel.  There was no fox invasion of camp, and we slept much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment