Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 6: Ophir and Telluride

We opted to venture away from Silverton today. Breakfast was consumed and the dogs were loaded up in the truck. Off towards Ophir Pass.


Elly was seriously gassing us out and this little grassy spot seemed like a perfect place to break them.

This was supposed to be a nice picture of the two of us. Yeah, not during a tickle fight. Which I lost.
 Ophir Pass
There was a small two door Jeep parked here with four marmots running around it like little car thieves. I don't know what interested them so much, but they were all over it.
Run AWAY!

Ophir Pass (look close enough and there is a tiny Jeep and a tiny FJ driving down that road)

The town of Ophir in the distance.
I had to walk a decent distance in order to shoot the Jeep/FJ driving down the pass. So here comes my greeting party when I caught up.

Just before the small town of Ophir, I found my house. It was even for sale....for a small fortune. A lot of the houses near Silverton/Telluride/Ophir look this great and cost well over a half million dollars. If only...

We hit slab and made our way to Telluride for lunch. I didn't actually take pictures of the town. It was cute, but high price and kind of snotty. They were extremely dog friendly which was nice. Telluride had more stores and shopping, but I preferred the quiet nature of Silverton better.

After lunch, we headed up the Last Dollar Road. A nice easy dirt strip.
Outskirts of Telluride

The recent rains left some deep puddles along the road. All indications pointed to not wanting to be on this road during a rain.

But of course, we stopped for play.
We could see a storm raging in the distance and the boys pushed us onward.

We aired up when we hit slab again and made our way towards Ouray. We didn't really have time to stop, but Ouray looked like a town right up our alley.  Hitting the Million Dollar Highway (550) we zoomed back towards Silverton.

We stopped at a mine reclamation project.

The sun peaked back out when we were almost back to camp.

Back at camp, the girls put their sweatshirts on before dinner was made.




Dinner, some relaxation and finally cozy-ing up on our RTT.










2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pictures of your dogs in their sweatshirts hehe. I mean I love all of your pictures, and wish I could be on this trip with you, but the ones of your dogs in their shirts just makes me want to give them hugs. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls were pretty hilarious and were quite willing to get them on every evening.

      Delete