Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bartlett Lake

Camping again? Of course. This time, along side water.

The Beard's bought a new-to-them pop up camper and wanted to try it out. So why not spend the weekend at Bartlett Lake? Only a mere 1.5 hours from Casa Grande. They left Friday, but Mike and I had to work so we didn't leave til Saturday.

Which meant that we got lost. We made it to Carefree but missed our turn towards the lake. We drove about 10 miles down Seven Springs Road before we realized it. It was a happy accident though because we now know that we must return to take that road through the Tonto National Forest all the way to Bloody Basin. Why? Because its an excellent forest road through the mountains. So be on the lookout for a blog about that in the future.

Anyway, an hour or so later, we finally hit Bartlett Lake.

It was hot. Hotter than Casa Grande. And there were speed boats? It is probably the smallest lake I've ever seen and people were driving speed boats on it. Jerks they were, creating all sorts of wake for the smaller slower vessels. There were quite a few campers too.

The worst part about camping on a lake? Other people.

But being on water, meant Rommel was in HEAVEN.
Yep, my dog treads water while waiting for his ball to be thrown. We also managed to get Meeka in the water. She wasn't so graceful and it took her a while to get the hang of swimming.
Elly stayed relatively dry on Saturday. Meeka, did not.
Yes, proof that we camp with more than just dogs.
After a good romp in the water we went back to camp where the four legged campers relaxed.

Dinner was cooked. A fire was started and smores were enjoyed.
The kids were put down and the adults relaxed by the fire. Cooler air moved in, and the moon rose very late over the mountains. It was a good day.

The dogs actually put us to bed. They begged and pestered until we turned in.

Sleep. Hmmn. Hard to do when jerks are out and about in there speed boats before the sun rises. Like several hours before the sun rises. Again, people are the bane of my existence.

Mandy made us breakfast burritos and we opted for a walk before the heat arrived. Since it was Sunday, a lot of people had already gone, opening up quite a few beaches. We weren't exactly camped on a beach, more like a steep slope down to enough space to fish, or toss the dogs into the water.
Oh it was fun. And it got hot. We had a long walk back in the sun and the dogs were done. After lunch, it was time for the two legged campers to get into the cold water. This time we were able to get Elly into the water because both Mike and I were swimming. Meeka was pooped and didn't swim. Rommel enjoyed his last foray in the lake.

Unfortunately we had to leave. Time wasn't on our side. Pete had to work mids tonight, and many chores awaited us in Casa Grande.

The worst part about camping? Going home. Granted I loved the shower I took this evening, but being home means chores, work and responsibility. I've read several blogs and stories about people who packed up shop and traveled the country or the world and I'm jealous. We only had 24 hours of outside glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment